sophomore english, Department of Mass Communication, 2005

Monday, December 13, 2004

41th golden horse film festival

TAIPEI (AFP) - Taiwan's Golden Horse Film Festival, considered the "Oscars (news - web sites)" of Chinese-language movies, wrapped up with Hong Kong's Andy Lau taking the top acting prize at a glittering awards ceremony.

Taiwanese actress Yang Kuei-mei was crowned best leading actress. Chinese film "Kekexili" filmed in Mongolia and telling the story of deer being hunted by poachers, took the best feature film prize Lau, who was nominated for his actor's role in "Infernal Affairs 3", quipped, "I have been thinking why I wasn't awarded the best actor for the past two times I was nominated, and I still don't have a clue now. "But in the future, I will try to act better so that the jury will feel no guilt when they award me this prize."

For her part, Yang, who won the statuette for her role in "The Moon Also Rises", said in a trembling voice, "I have four years' experience. Finally I made it. "I have lost three times, but I was never defeated because I was courageous. For those who used to support me, I finally can give you back something."

The best supporting actor award went to Hong Kong's Daniel Wu for his role in "New Police Story" while Chinese Bai Ling took the Best supporting actress prize for "Three... Extremes: Dumplings".

The best director prize was awarded to Hong Kong director Johnnie To for his film "Breaking News". Lu Chuan, director of "Kekexili", thanked the Taiwanese journalists in China who encouraged him to take part in the ceremony, saying: "You gave me the courage for me to come here. So I applied for permission to come and prepared the formalities, and here I am."

Organisers had feared that the event might be disrupted by a tropical storm, but it fizzled out after battering the island overnight. The cream of Asian acting talent was among more than 100 nominees that vyed for prizes at the 41st annual Golden Horse Film Awards in the central city of Taichung. Lau, who repeated his role as a crooked detective in "Infernal Affairs 3", again faced stiff competition from fellow Hong Kong actor Tony Leung, nominated for his lead role in acclaimed director Wong Kar-wai's "2046".

Zhang Ziyi, who had been nominated for best actress for her role in but lost to Yang, was among a number of big-name stars unable to attend the event. Hong Kong actor Tony Leung arrived late at the ceremony and missed the red-carpet ceremony -- the so-called Star Boulevard. He was shooting a new film until Saturday morning in Seoul.

Festival organisers said many leading entertainers were unable to make the event because of hectic shooting schedules. Golden Horse Awards categories are styled on the US Academy Awards (news - web sites), but are decided by a jury along the lines of the independent-minded Cannes film festival (news - web sites).

French director Olivier Assayas who handed out one of the awards, said: "It must be easier to win awards than giving them. Taiwanese cinema is very appreciated in France. "I hope that there could be more Taiwanese films to be shown in France so that the cinematographic dialogue could continue."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home